Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Response on Healer's Geste

Over at Healer's Geste, Mystie wonders if she'll stick to her plans, making sure her children receive the education she envisions for them. Here's the answer I left in the comments. Perhaps you have more to offer & would like to share with Mystie, too.

"It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted here, but I wanted to give you some reassurance. I’ve been home schooling for 19 years, & no two years have ever been the same. Even in the classical-style home education can be organic enough to meet the needs of the family. It doesn’t have to be super-structured. In fact, that sort of thing can lead to great frustration. Yes, you need to know where you’re going in order to meet your goals & schedules certainly help keep you on track. But you must also be flexible to meet the demands of family life. Babies are born, people get sick, sometimes seriously so, other things happen that make us adapt to the situation. It will be alright. Really. If God has called you to home school your children, He’ll have to give you the wisdom & wherewithal to do that anyway. You might as well trust Him all the way.

There is very little flexibility in a structured school for children who deviate from the “norm.” Some children do fine with that, but others would not. My youngest would not receive a classical education if I were not home schooling him. He would not handle a structured classroom well at all. But because I spend my days educating him in a way he can assimilate the information, he can be well-educated & not feel stupid because other children can spell or learn Latin much faster than he can. I see myself as working hard on something much bigger than myself, even when I am totally frustrated. Blessedly, children manage to learn regardless of our shortcomings. If God wants you teaching your children, He’ll just have to provide, won’t He? There have been many times when I thought I was failing my children & it turned out that God had everything under control–to my surprise!

Don’t forget, this journey is for you, too. This parenthood thing isn’t just you & hubby training your children. It’s changing you as well, often in profound ways."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.