Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How to Acquire an Elite College Education for Less Than $7000 by Joe O'Donnell

File this one under College at Home:

How to Acquire an Elite College Education for Less Than $7000 by Joe O'Donnell:

"After attending college in the late 80’s I became skeptical of the 'received wisdom' approach to education I encountered there. I strongly believed that real truth and understanding could only be found through a Socratic Dialogue of systematic doubt. Instead each course was taught as if the facts presented were truths handed down by God to be memorized."

Do you agree with Mr. O'Donnell's choices? What books would you choose? Do you think this beats a regular college education of today?

I think I would have a great deal of trouble with Structure & Interpretation of Computer Programs and Feynman. And as for Russell, well I definitely prefer Schaeffer for the history of western philosophy.

And there are so many more books...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.