Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lincoln Was No Christian

Mr. Lincoln The Infidel

by Al Benson Jr.
Just as, over the years, we have all been treated to the ethereal fables of Mr. Lincoln as the "great emancipator" of blacks, so have also been treated to many stories about his supposed Christian faith. The problem with all of this is the most patriotic and conservative folks have bought into this hook, line, and sinker. I talked several years ago with a conservative man who informed me that Lincoln "got saved" in the White House. I asked him for some evidence and then sought to go a little into the true nature of Lincoln's character. At that point, he informed me that he "didn't have time for all this." Conversation ended. He had no evidence to back up what he said and I had just punctured the aura of secular holiness that surrounded his secular saint, and he wasn't happy with that. He really didn't want to be confronted with any facts that might force him to change his opinion. So, in many conservative circles, where the truth is supposed to be sought after and revered, many still refuse to deal with any truth that flies in the face of their preconceived notions. I, too, once thought Lincoln was a good man. I was forced, after considerable research, to change my views. That's life.

Finish the rest of the article here.

2 comments:

  1. While I certainly can add nothing to prove whether Mr. Lincoln was a Christian or not, I certainly do not think we should hold him in disdain because we do not know the truth on this subject. For one, we do not know what sort of conversation might have occurred between Mr. Lincoln and the Lord in his last days -- how do we know he had not called out at some point for his salvation?

    And, there is no doubt that while Mr. Lincoln might not have been saved himself spiritually, he did indeed save our nation from division. Yes, the merits of that effort, and his methods of doing it, often is debated as well. But there are biblical instances of the nongodly aiding the godly, indicating that God can use for His good, and the good of his followers, even those who have not made a commitment to Him. I think I might be inclined to think somewhat well of a nonbeliever who saved my life, or my nation, as opposed to a believer who allowed me or my nation to fall to ruin.

    Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already thought about it because I've already researched it.

    All I can ask of you is to do the research yourself. Slavery was becoming less & less economically feasible--it was already on its way out. The issue should have been settled in a Biblical way, along the lines of the way it was settled in the UK. Lincoln was making a huge power grab that set this country on the road to bigger & bigger federal government. That is what he wanted.

    Here's a quote to consider:
    "My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the sriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."
    1862 letter to Judge J.S. Wakefield,
    after the death of Willie Lincoln

    I will not do your research for you. The information is readily available. Research, think for yourself, refuse to be spoon fed what to think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.