Friday, August 31, 2007
Frugal Friday--Organizer Boxes
You'll need: Small cardboard boxes, fabric or cardstock, ribbon and/or raffia, white craft glue, large paint brush, water, hot glue gun and acrylic sealer spray.
1. Decorate each cardboard box by decoupaging the outsides with patterned paper or fabric. To make your own decoupage medium, use equal amounts of white craft glue and water. Squeeze some white craft glue into a small container or cup. Add water and mix until this reaches a milky consistency. Mixture should be paintable, but not too thick.
2. To decoupage, dip your paintbrush into the decoupage medium, your paint brush should be wet but not dripping. Paint a layer of decoupage onto the box and begin putting on your fabric/paper. Paint over the fabric/paper with the decoupage medium, smoothing out with your brush. Work in sections until entire box is covered. Set aside to dry and repeat with each box.
3. Cut out strips of solid fabric/paper for the brims of the boxes. Repeat the decoupage process to apply the brims. Use alterating colors and compliment the patterns with your choices. Allow to dry completely, about two hours.
4. Make small bows out of ribbon, raffia and/or twisted paper. Hot glue the bows onto the fronts of the boxes. Alternatively, you can use ribbon to make a border line between the brim and the rest of the box if you like. Simply hot glue in place.
5. Spray entire surface with acrylic sealer spray and let dry overnight.
More Frugal Friday