Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Think He Knows

I've been reading Barry Farber's book, How to Learn Any Language. I haven't read any of his articles at NewsMax (that I recall off hand), but Mr. Farber apparenlty isn't impressed with the way American public schools try to teach foreign languages, or the public schools in general:

Language teaching used to be in the control of "the faculty," a Prussian guard of grammarians who taught that after all the conjugations, declensions, irregularities, and exceptions were mastered, surely fluency would follow. What followed instead was a parade of hapless Americans who, after eight years of good grades, could not go to the desk clerk at a hotel in a country whose language they'd studied and ask if they had any messages! (p. 113)

1 comment:

  1. I published the Homeschool Tips and Advice post. So if you have a post, Mr. Linky is ready!

    Thanks!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.