Thursday, June 14, 2007

Frugal Friday--Pillowcase Recycling


What to do with a pillowcase with no twin (or maybe you have twins and can use both!), or you make a fabulous pillowcase find at the thriftstore or garage sale? You can't just pass up a good deal! Here are some ideas for using those wonderful pillowcases to make some both useful and beautiful items.



At Red Instead BLOG you'll find a step-by-step photo presentation of how to change a pillowcase into this adorable dress:



This one needs a onesie or t-shirt for the top. I really liked little slipover dresses when my girls were toddlers.



This is very similar to the first, but I love the look and wanted to show the dress with the pretty embroidery. Notice, too, the addition of cute bloomers to extend the life of the dress.



The thriftstore pillowcase skirt at leahdramer.com may be just the thing. Leah writes, "This is a really satisfying and instantly gratifying sewing project. Perks include: (1) it's almost all sewn for you, (2) you have an excuse to visit thriftstores (to look for great old pillowcases), (3) the materials are cheap, (4) the fabric in old thriftstore pillowcases is often nicely worn in and has a great feel to it." It has a drawstring waist.



This Pillowcase Skirt has an elastic waist.



So now you know what to do with that extra pillowcase, and yes, you do have an excuse for buying that pretty pillowcase in the yard sale.

For more Frugal Friday, visit here.

14 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try one or more of these ideas out! I'd love to make some light summer dresses for our little 6 month old and a skirt for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I've never seen that done, but am going to try soon! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    What a neat idea! I've never though of using pillow cases this way.

    I have a little niece that would look so cute in one of these dresses.

    Take Care,

    Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to do the dress, but Princess is already 6, and by the time I get around to it she'll probably be too big. ARgh! Too many ideas not enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them!

    I am using the old pillowcases my grandmother and great grandmother crochetted the ends with monograms, flowers, kitties, and all sorts of other pretties to dress up their homes, for my niece, seeing that I had all boys! I can't wait to get started!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn, I know just what you mean! I have the same problem.

    Shawna, how great to already have a nice stash from which to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a little dress like that when I was small...I remember liking it alot. Great Tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my gosh, those are cute! In a million years, I'd never guess they were made from pillow cases! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In college, I made a pillowcase skirt and top. I loved the feel of the fabric--although I must admit that I always felt like other people could tell....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are just adorable. I find that the older (pre-1990) pillowcases are made of much more durable fabric than their more recent counterparts. Have you found that, too?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This would make teaching little girls how to sew very helpful.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea!!! It sorta reminds me of how my mom made swimming cover ups out of old towels when I was a kid! I love it, reduce, recycle & reuse!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.