Thursday, June 7, 2007

Frugal Friday--A Collection of Good Tips


Here's a collection of helpful hints I've recently come across. Hope there's something helpful for everyone.


Hotel Tip

My family recently decided to go on vacation. I found that if I looked up the rates from the hotels directly, I saved about $10 per room per night. But that is not my tip. My tip is to call your chosen hotels 1-800 number to make the reservation. Of the three I called, all three of them offered me freebies to book with them. The one I chose sent me $40 off for gas! And my children got to stay for free!

A Bit of Extra Money From Your Garden

While weeding my garden from unwanted plants, I wondered if someone else would like some of my surplus plants. I had extra
spearmint, garlic and chives. I put them in some peat pots, took them to a flea market, and sold them for $1.00 each. The
money came in handy, and the buyers found plants that were less expensive plants than they could buy elsewhere.

Cleaning CDs and DVDs

I needed to clean some of my music CDs and a DVD (which didn't work when I first received it) and so I carefully used an
optical lens cleaner sheet (like you get from Sam's in the eyeglass section). These sheets are less than $6 for 180 (large ones) compared to $7 or so for about 20 in an electronics store. I had to unfold the section that I wanted to use and gently wipe off the disk in the right direction (from the center to the outside). Now, the DVD works and the CDs are clean. This is quite inexpensive, and I figured that it was worth a try since the lens cleaner was safe for my glasses.

Always Have White Sauce Available

Instead of using canned soup in casserole recipes, use frozen white sauce cubes you make yourself. Use your favorite white sauce recipe or try this: Put equal parts flour and butter, say 2 Tbsp., in a pan over medium low heat. Mix them together as the butter melts and let brown slightly, then add milk and stir. As it thickens, add more milk to your desired consistency.

Longer Life for Decorative Candles

Keeping large pillar decorative candles forever. When I buy a decorative pillar candle I burn for a little bit until I can fit a tealight candle inside. This way, I just have to replace the tealight and the expensive decorative candle keeps its shape and it's cheaper to buy tealight candles.


Protecting Silk Flower Arrangements for Gravesites

Spray the arrangement with a couple coats of WD-40 to help repel water from rain and sprinklers, and to protect silk flowers' colors from fading due to sunlight. After spraying with WD-40, the silk flowers or greenery will stay beautiful and vibrant for a longer period of time while placed near your loved one's grave.

More Frugal Friday at Biblical Womanhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.