Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Re-birth of Dinner Dialogues


Eric Hogue has posted this blog at Crosswalk. com. I offer a snippet of it and a link to the rest here because I know this is something we could use in my family, and just maybe in yours as well. We dialogue a great deal, but we really don't have the family sit-down-to-dinner habit. Hubby must have something genetic going on. Neither he nor his brother like to sit down to dinner at home. I know they grew up sitting for dinner, but now that they are grown they are disinclined to it for some reason. We eat late. This is the way I like it, but meetings always start at 7 PM, so it's either eat earlier, or whoever's leaving gets to fend for him- or herself (it's always the latter). I find Mr. Hogue's approach compelling, though. I like his practical suggestions and his offer to regularly post topics for family discussion to keep things going.

Dinner time has been stolen from America's families, it's time to re-capture the once great tradition. I believe one of the best ways to counter act today's cultural decay is recapturing the family 'dinner time' discussions. For this reason alone, I'm stimulating a family tradition by starting a 'Hogue Blog' feature entitled "Dinner Dialogue". Let's be honest, today's family is busy. The traditional dinner hour has been eroded by the pace of life and culture's demands. What was once a valuable time of eating and 'catching up', is now a talent of devouring your food so to make the next appointment.

I want to put some 'meat' back into our family dinners. It starts by getting the family talking again, discussing things that everyone can relate to and have an opinion on. Studies show that families who discuss issues together (communicate), grow together emotionally, spiritually and educationally. Time to put the talking back into dinner time.
Jesus was a big fan of the "Dinner Dialogue".

Jesus used 'meal times' for teaching, parables and challenging discussions. For this reason, I believe the replacing of 'meal time' discussions, or as we'll call them "Dinner Dialogues", are purposed by Creator God. Purpose for the creation of maturity, intellect and ability to apply what we believe as a family to today's post-modern culture.

I'd like to start my series with a few rules:

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree. It's a sad comment on our society that it's a big deal when families CAN eat together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I also agree. My husband and I both grew up in families that ate together, and we do the same. To illustrate what a sad world we live in, take the gift we received from my great-aunt about ten years ago. (She's 99 years young right now). She gave me a plate. Attached to it was a note. It said "This is a special plate. Use it for special occasions. If someone has a birthday, promotion, good report card, or any old thing you want to celebrate, let them use the special plate and give them the honor at dinner time. I am giving this to you because you are the only young person in the family who believes in family dinners, and I know that you will use it. Love, Aunt Bernice." :) How sweet is that? The sad part is that her own five grandkids all eat dinner in a drop-into-the-kitchen & grab style, usually not with their families, and usually either on the go, or in front of the tv. We do use that plate! The kids make sure any birthday or special occasion for someone is marked by use of the special plate at all three meals on that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our family has the privilege of eating three meals a day together... HOWEVER, I've been noticing, as the children get older, these meals don't last very long. Sometimes, we're lucky if the kids stay at the table for five minutes! I think these Dinner Dialogues are a great idea.

    I bought a deck of cards a few years ago that has a neat conversation starter on each card. Things like, "What's the most unusual thing you've ever eaten?" Our children have thoroughly enjoyed any conversation we've had as a result of these cards.

    Good post!

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up my parents always insisted on family meals, which sometimes annoyed me when I just wanted to be on the go. But I am now thankful for those times.

    MommaKnows,

    I think that plate idea is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we always eat family dinner sans TV, and now that it isa nice outside, we have been eating outside almost daily!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.