Thursday, May 17, 2007

Frugal Friday--Linen Water


I really don't like ironing. While I enjoy seeing clothes ironed out nice and crisp, the standing makes me hurt from the feet all the way up. And in the summer, it's really umbearable to heat up the room (and myself) with the hot iron. One way to make this task more pleasant is to use scented linen water. It makes the pressing easier and the pleasing scent can give you a lift. Hamiltion Beach makes some nice ones, which you can obtain at Walmart. Or you might try making your own.



Lavender Linen Water

1 teaspoon (100 drops) lavender essential oil
5-10 drops peppermint, spearmint or rosemary essential oil (optional)
2 oz. 80+ proof vodka
24 oz. distilled water

Pour essential oils and vodka into a bottle, cap and shake to emulsion. Mix with distilled water.

The mix will cloud, and eventually separate.

Shake well before each use.

Another recipe looks like this:

Essential oil (try lavender or rose for traditional scents, jasmine or plumeria blossom for exotic scents)
90 ml (approx. 3oz)non-flavoured, high proof vodka
750 ml (approx. 25 oz) distilled water

So you see that a bit of variation is no problem. While lavender is traditional (it also repels moths), you can also try jasmine or plumeria oils for a more exotic scent.

Linen water can be spritzed into the air, or directly on your bed linens for a luxurious olfactory experience and to promote restful sleep.

And even better than ironing, you can hang clothing on a non-rust hanger and spritz it, allowing wrinkles to relax away. Now that's the way I like it!

For more Frugal Friday tips, visit Biblical Womanhood.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this tip! I have been meaning to make my own linen water for the longest time, but pushing it to the back on my mind.

    The picture on this post is beautiful! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Thank you so much for those recipes! I've wanted to find one, but keep forgetting to Google for one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound lovely. I wonder if my hubby would like them. He does most of the ironing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat I love lavender water. It also helps my really bad headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Redbud,
    Thanks for visiting my blog recently...this means you've now been tagged for a "7 random things" meme!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.