Friday, April 27, 2007

This Women in Ministry Thing

This is something that has bugged me for a long time, and this wonderful article by Audrey Broggi pulls it all together. My family IS my ministry, and I've always felt that some sort of outside ministry would be absolutely worthless if I lost my family to the world because I was too busy ministering to others. The Bible, in Titus 2, makes it quite clear what women are supposed to be doing...and what the older women are supposed to be doing.

Before you read this journal, let me say something. I don't have a personal problem with Jill Briscoe or Ann Graham Lotz or Beth Moore or Kay Arthur or any of the rest of the celebrity women Bible teachers. I'm sure they love the Lord - I don't doubt their zeal for a moment. However, I strongly disagree with their ministry lifestyles and how they model such lifestyles for young women. I believe they are wrong and are (though perhaps unintentionally) having a negative influence on the family. I pray for them because their influence is huge and it encourages a lifestyle inconsistent with Scripture even if that is not what they mean to do. Though it seems at times that I am a lone voice, and though you may not like what you’re about to read, this is the way I see it.

OK. Everyone relaxed? Now continue reading if you don't mind being challenged:

This Women in Ministry Thing

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with that author. Just my two cents. I feel sorry for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much agree with that article. When I was in youth group, I remember that some people complained that our youth leader's wife wasn't active enough in ministry because she was too focused on taking care of her young children. However, looking back I feel like she influenced me more by her modeling of proper priorities than she ever did through her teaching (and she was a fabulous teacher!) Plus, all of her (teen/young adult) children are now very strong believers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, ladies. Crystal at Biblical Womanhood also posted about this article, and you may enjoy reading the myriad of comments left there: https://www2.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=13034013&postID=8852974244033461504

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.