Monday, April 16, 2007

A Lesson You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Oh, divine chocolate!
They grind thee kneeling,
Beat thee with hands praying,
And drink thee with eyes to heaven.

~Marco Antonio Orellana, 18th Century

The Field Museum has some great lessons for a unit study on chocolate. There are six lessons in "Chocolate and Its Environment," and six lessons in "Chocolate and Culture," as well as several other resource links.

From the quotes link, I found this uplifting thought:

“Chocolate is a divine, celestial drink, the sweat of the stars, the vital seed, divine nectar, the drink of the gods, panacea and universal medicine.”
- Geronimo Piperni, quoted by Antonio Lavedán, surgeon in the Spanish army, 1796

Here are some more useful links:
http://www.english-to-go.com/english/samples/MaxChocolate.cfm
http://42explore.com/choclat.htm
http://retanet.unm.edu/article.pl?sid=03/05/18/1938158
http://www.education-world.com/a_lesson/TM/WS_candi_chocolate.shtml
http://clta.net/lessons/spanish/level1/chocolate.html

It's a very interesting study, and one I know you'll enjoy. Not everything you study is so tasty, or inspiring. Expect spontaneous eruptions of poetry.

Mmmm... Chocolate!!!

Here I sit, eating chocolate chips.
To quit eating chocolate, I need more than tips.
There are so many kinds of chocolate, it's hard to choose.
No matter which one you pick, you just can't lose.

There is milk chocolate, sweet chocolate, and semi-sweet.
I really like dark chocolate! It's such a treat!!!
There is also mint chocolate & white chocolate -- I'm not through!
There is cereal, cake, cookies, candy, pudding, pie & ice cream too.

Chocolate tastes so rich, and sweet, and sometimes smooth.
It can help make you feel better, or help your heartache sooth.
There are many chocolate drinks. Have some, just for fun --
cappuccino, chocolate milk, mocha & cocoa -- try more than one!

Is chocolate as good as a hug, or a pat on the back?
What if I'm out of chocolate, when I have my next attack??!!
I could just imagine that I'm eating chocolate, I suppose.
If I eat lots of chocolate all day long, would I overdose?

Where would I go... what would I ever do... without chocolate?
Nothing can compare. Not even one word rhymes with chocolate!
Do I take it for granted that I can always get more?
I could eat chocolate candies, by the score!

Is chocolate something to fear -- is it really a curse?
Is it something to be avoided, or is it much worse?
Or... is chocolate the eighth wonder? Is it a total delight?
Something you savor for so long? Or love with all your might?

© InfoGalaxy 1998- 2003

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'm an unschooler, but I think I'm going to make an exception for this unit study. I'm sure my kids won't mind. If they do, I'll study it by myself. LOL. This is a really neat unit study that I'll pass on if you don't mind.
    Peace,
    Lill in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lill,

    It's all from the internet, so have fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just when I was thinking that I needed to get serious about that diet... This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.