Friday, April 27, 2007
Hydrogen peroxide is one of my favorite multi-use, frugal household liquids. The H2O2 which you buy from the store is a 3% solution, safe for most uses.
H2O2 is a very effective dental rinse: the germs that gather below the gum line are anaerobic, and the introduction of oxygen with the use of the H2O2 kills them. It also helps whiten teeth, a very nice benefit for those of us our enjoy coffee and tea. The H2O2 can be used out of the bottle at the 3% dilution. That is too strong for me personally, as it burns my mouth. I use a medicine cup (the kind that comes with children's liquid medicines) and I pour in 1-2 teaspoons of H2O2, and fill the rest of the cup with water. After swishing the solution around your mouth and gargling a bit with it, spit it out. 3% H2O2 is too strong to swallow (if you feel burning in your mouth, it most certainly will burn you internally). Those who use H2O2 internally use very dilute solutions. Also, what you buy at the store has had stablizers added to it, and these aren't necessarily safe to ingest. If you want to take H2O2 internally, you must buy food grade.
And don't forget to sanitize your toothbrush. Simply pour the H2O2 on the brush and allow it to air dry.
Another great use for hydrogen peroxide is disinfecting in the the bathroom and kitchen: dilute the 3% H2O2 by half with water and use it to wash your hands and wipe down surfaces. It can be put into a spray bottle also. Kitchen sinks get very germy, and this is a safe, inexpensive way to kill germs and freshen up this area.
Use the dilute H2O2 to wash off fruits, vegetables, and meats. Use it on cutting boards.
Hydrogen peroxide is much safer and much less toxic than chlorine bleach or ammonia, so enjoy in good health!
For more Frugal Friday tips, go to Crystal's Blog at Biblical Womanhood.